One of the biggest things holding people back from creating the life they dream of is FEAR. If worries are keeping you from taking that leap I have some good news for you. Cornell University conducted a study that followed people over an extended time and discovered that 85 percent of what people worried about never happened… but it gets even BETTER! Of the 15% of people who did have their worry come to reality, 79% of them said they handled the problem or situation better than they had expected. That means that 97% of the things you worry about will either never happen or, if they do, you will handle them better than you expected and maybe even learn a lesson along the way. It’s math… you really do have this!
So, now that we have that out of the way and we can agree that at least some of your worries need to take a hike let’s talk about ways that you can calm your fears and take that first step towards your dream life. Here are a few tactics that help me tame my fear so that I can take steps towards crushing my biggest goals.
10 Tactics That Will Help YOU Put Fear In The Backseat
- Break down your BIG HAIR AUDACIOUS GOAL into smaller bite-sized goals that are more manageable.
- Find a community with people who are chasing a similar goal. Facebook groups are a great place to look. You will be motivated by others making progress and you will be able to find support.
- Find your WHY. This is one I lean on quite a bit. It is much easier for me to face my fears head-on if I dig deep inside myself and really understand the “why” behind what I am doing. This is also known as your intrinsic motivation.
- Develop a plan of action– create a clear and actionable plan for reaching your goals. You can find my exact strategy for doing that here. This plan should outline the steps you need to take, the resources required, and a timeline for accomplishing each step.
- Challenge Negative Thoughts: Fear often arises from negative self-talk and irrational beliefs. Begin identifying and challenging these negative thoughts. Replace them with positive affirmations and constructive thinking patterns.
- Gradual Exposure: Gradual exposure to the source of fear can be an effective way to desensitize yourself. If you start taking small, manageable steps to confront your fears, it builds confidence, and momentum and helps propel you forward. Find my exact method for doing that here. It’s so good I use it daily!
- Visualize Success: Create a vision board or just close your eyes and picture yourself successfully achieving your goals. Visualization can boost confidence and reduce fear. Even Oprah Winfrey herself told me she does this!
- Stay Accountable: Set up regular check-ins with yourself or find an accountability partner. This can provide a sense of responsibility and motivation to keep moving forward.
- Be Patient: Overcoming fears and achieving goals can take time. Practice patience and perseverance, and remember setbacks are normal. You will get to your end goal as long as you DO NOT give up!
- Celebrate your victories, no matter how small. Remember it’s the process that is the most life-giving part. The success at the end is just a bonus!
I’ve been utilizing these tactics for the past twenty years and while I have never figured out how to completely get rid of fear I HAVE learned to not let fear dictate my future. That is what I want for YOU!! I know the world needs exactly the YOU that you want to become. So get started today, and go chase that crazy amazing dream life. You deserve it!
*This post is part of a series. Learn the exact strategy I used (multiple times) to reach my greatest goals here and learn my secret hack here, I do this daily and it helps me take action so I can actually reach my 1 big goal.